Saturday, 15 August 2009

Angus Gordon - Clifton Station History

Angus Gordon (Clifton Station history - part two)
If you enjoyed Angus the first time round then you won't want to miss this one. Even if you you missed his first talk, this one is not to be missed. His topic is “In the Shadow of the Cape – the Gordon family history of Clifton”. Gordon will talk to us about his book and the history of the cape and in particular the clifton area. He will carry on from where he left off. You can also read his book. This is an easy-to-read, 216 page history of the original European family, the Gordons, who in 1859 bought the iconically beautiful 13,500 acre (5465 hectare) Cape Kidnappers block of land in Hawke’s Bay from the Crown, and called it Clifton.

Landmarks Trust AGM

Joyce Barry outlined the evenings agenda. She then thanked everyone fro their attendance followed by a brief overview of the Landmarks Trust and the Executive Committee.

Presidents Report

Treasurers Report

Election of Officers

Awards Ceremony
Presentation of excellence Awards
Presentation of the JeremyDwyer Award

Te Mata Trust Park
Te Mata Trust Park is a public park gifted to the people of Hawke’s Bay by the Chambers family in 1927. It’s 94 ha, and is part of the backdrop to Havelock North. The park is one of the most visited places in Hawke’s Bay: it’s where everyone takes their visitors, and there are many kilometres of walking and cycling trails throughout the park. Ecologically the park is home to a suite of rare and endangered plants: it’s a treasure chest of interesting species, and the upper slopes are home to flaxes, chionochloa and many smaller herbs like pimelea and celmisias, some of which are only found on Te Mata Peak. The park also has a QEII National Trust covenant over the whole title, which was registered in 1997. Three years ago Dr Mike Lusk, who lives just down the hill from the park, set up a group called the Friends of Te Mata Park. They meet once a month on a Saturday morning at the park, and although the friends number about 20, on average 14 turn up each month. They carry out weed control, and plant and release and maintain plantings. Last winter they planted Olearia furfuracea and Phormium cookianum sourced on the peak. The area they planted is fenced off with Biodiversity Condition Fund money to protect the cliff community from grazing. More of this planting is planned this winter. They have concentrated on cotoneaster control but have also got rid of a great deal of euonymus, banana passionfruit and some hemlock. This year they’ve pulled out a lot of the purple ragwort Senecio glastifolius which is a major threat to the cliff communities on the peak. He started the group because they use the park a lot for walking and training for tramping, and it is a nice place. They noticed that there were quite a lot of plantings done that were never looked after, and so started filling in the gaps with seedlings, and it sort of grew from there. People started talking to me about it and an informal group was formed.. Forest and Bird members are the mainstay of the group.” Mike the leader of the group said “It really is a pleasure to be there, and there is an endless supply of stuff to do. After I retire in September I hope to spend a bit more time there.” While other groups such as local PD workers spend a lot of time in the park on various projects, and there is significant Biodiversity Condition Fund money going into the park for weed control, the Friends of Te Mata Park make a sustained and continuing commitment to the care of the park. They are doing a great job for the love of the park!"
We are very grateful to all the volunteers and their time and energy they put into the park to keep it looking great. Unfortunately with the increased usage of the park and increased traffic the current roads are too windy and narrow for the tour buses that are now using the road and car park as turning bays. Its getting dangerous, and we need to protect the people as well as the park.
At the entrance of Te Mata Trust Park the views are magnificent and there is at least a 180 degree panoramic view across Hastings and Napier.
The proposed Park Headquarters and Education Centre would also encompass view platforms and an eating area too. It is proposed that there would be bus bays where the tourists can be dropped of f to explore the education Centre, using the view platforms, and even take the walk to Te Mata Peak if they wish. They would encourage schools to visit so the children could learn more about the history of Te Mata Peak, Havelock and Hawke’s Bay etc.
Buses would stop here and no longer go up to the top of Te Mata Peak.
Bruno has sought funding from the Hastings District Council, Napier City council and HB regional Council.
Te Mata Peak features in the AA top 100 Must See places. And New Zealand top 100 attractions.
He was been working with stakeholders including Nimons in how best to accommodate all users from Tour operators, visitors, walkers etc. In their current development planning.

Te Mata Trust Park some History
Te Mata Trust Park is a public park gifted to the people of Hawke’s Bay by the Chambers family in 1927. It’s 94 ha, and is part of the backdrop to Havelock North. The park is one of the most visited places in Hawke’s Bay: it’s where everyone takes their visitors, and there are many kilometres of walking and cycling trails throughout the park.
Te Mata Trust Park is part of the land purchased from the crown in 1862 by John Chambers. In 1927 his sons John Bernard & Mason gifted 98 hectares of their land to the people of Hawke’s Bay. Since 1927 thousands of native and exotic trees and shrubs have been planted throughout the park.
The act that authorized the formalization of the Te Mata Trust Park
An Act to authorize the Hawke's Bay County Council, the Hastings Borough Council, and the Havelock North Town Board to make Contributions to the Upkeep and Improvement of Te Mata Park.
WHEREAS an area of land known as Te Mata Park, situated near Havelock North, in the County of Hawke's Bay, is vested in trustees, known as Te Mata Park Trust Board, as a public park and public recreation-ground, and is held by such Board under and subject to a declaration of trust dated the seventh day of February, nineteen hundred and twenty-seven, made by Bernard Chambers, of Te Mata, near Havelock North, Sheep-farmer; John Chambers, of Mokopeka, near Havelock North, Sheep-farmer; and Mason Chambers, of Tauroa, near Havelock North, Sheep-farmer; And whereas such park, being a scenic attraction, pleasure-ground, and place of interest, and being used and visited in particular by residents in the County of Hawke's Bay, the Hastings Borough, and the Havelock North Town District, it is desirable that the Hawke's Bay County Council (out of the funds of the Corporation of the Chairman, Councillors, and inhabitants of the County of Hawke's Bay) (hereinafter referred to as the County Corporation), the Hastings Borough Council (out of the funds of the Corporation of the Mayor, Councillors, and Burgesses of the Borough of Hastings) (hereinafter referred to as the Hastings Corporation), and the Havelock North Town Board (out of the funds of the said Board) should have power to make contributions for the maintenance, upkeep, and improvement of the said park:

Te Mata Peak Te Mata in Maori means 'The Sleeping Giant'. This name comes from the shape of the hill shown in the picture on the right where the top margin takes the shape of a person lying on his or her back, the resemblance is quite striking!! Legend has it that there once was a giant who took a bite out of the hill, choked and died, and this is where he lies till this day!!The peak is situated in Havelock North and on and around it lies Te Mata Trust Park.

From the top of the peak, you can pretty much see most of Hawkes Bay, i.e. Napier, Hastings and Havelock North, the views are great!!

Te Mata Trust Park is part of land purchased from the crown in 1862 by John Chambers. In 1927 his son's gifted 98 hectares of their land to the people of Hawke's Bay. Since 1927 thousands of natives and exotic trees and shrubs have been planted throughout the Park, which also features fossil rich limestone cliffs and stunning vistas across Hawke's Bay. Today the Park is enjoyed by a wide range of family, sporting and recreational groups including hang gliders, para-gliders, orienteers, elementary rock climbers, joggers and artists. The highest point of the Park rises a massive 399 metres above sea level. From the Peak lookout, the Ruahine, Kaweka and Mangagharuru Ranges form the Western horizon while the costal hills are visible to the South. Pack a lunch and take a walk to the top of the Peak. The complete round trip takes approximately 2 to 3 hours. The views from the top are stunning. The Park offers several different trips to suit all, from a 15-minute stroll through groves of New Zealand native trees to many more challenging walks - in fact we guarantee a walk that will suit your ability. Alternatively sit among giant Redwoods, listen to the native birds or read a book. Wherever you walk you will stumble on an outlook offering spectacular views. After your walk, return to Sunny Nook and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee and some of Beryl's home baking. Maori Legend of Te Mata Peak Maori legend has it that Te Mata Peak is the body of a Waimarama Maori Chief called Te Mata. Although given to warfare, Te Mata was swayed from his plan to attack the peaceful Heretaunga people when he saw the beauty of the Heretaunga Chief's daughter. True to stories of many cultures, the beautiful daughter set Te Mata a series of tasks to prove his worthiness. He completed all but the last - to eat his way through the hill. Looking towards Te Mata from Hastings one can see the gargantuan bite that choked the chief and the silhouette of his body on the horizon.

Te Mata Trust Park Board
Hawke's Bay's popular Te Mata Park will boast an estimated $1.5 million visitor centre and car park just inside the main gates.
Te Mata Park Trust Board chairman Bruno Chambers said the landmark was attracting large numbers of visitors, specially during the cruise ship season.
He said the time had come to enhance their and the regular users' experience of the park.
Safety was also a prime concern and a new carpark would allow the more than 200 buses that visit each year somewhere to park while their passengers, mostly from cruise ships docked at Napier, were transferred to shuttle vans for the winding trip to the peak.
``We are very concerned about safety issues in the park, and particularly on the road to the peak,' Mr Chambers said.
``This car and bus parking area will hopefully solve problems associated with large buses driving to the summit.'
The new building would be home to a cafe and restaurant, public toilets and an education centre emphasising Te Mata Park's unique flora, fauna and history.
``It will have magnificent views across the Bay and focus on enhancing the visitor experience and knowledge of the park and the Hawke's Bay region,' Mr Chambers said.
``The new park headquarters will be a well-designed, functional and inspirational building to truly reflect the outstanding surrounding landscape of which it will be a part.'
The first part of the project involves completing planning and design phases, plus obtaining consent approvals.
Mr Chambers said he expected the first stage to cost $200,000 and funding was being sought from the region's councils.
``We are committing $50,000 of our own funds, and have received a generous $50,000 allocation from the Hastings Dis trict Council for stage one.
``We are asking for a similar amount from the Hawke's Bay Regional Council and the Napier City Council.'
A Havelock North resident had offered a $250,000 donation for later stages.
Mr Chambers is confident there will be plenty of public support for the three-year project.
The Peak House Restaurant would stay open during that time but would be closed and removed once the new centre was up and running.
``Te Mata Peak and the surrounding park is arguably the most important asset of the Hawke's Bay region,' Mr Chambers said.
``The use of the park is increasing every year and the economic and spiritual benefits it provides to Hawke's Bay are enormous.'

Newstalk ZB
Large bus ban for Te Mata Peak
26/05/2009 11:48:01
Large tourist buses will be banned from going up to the top of Te Mata Peak in Hawke's Bay because of growing safety concerns about the road.
The Te Mata Park Trust Board has announced plans to build a new $1.5 million headquarters at the park which will include a cafe, restaurant, education centre and toilets. Large buses will be stopped at the headquarters at the park gates and visitors will be transported to the summit using smaller shuttle buses.
The trust is becoming increasingly concerned about safety issues on the narrow and winding road.

Tuesday, 11 August 2009

James Morgan (Ex Editor in Chief at Hawke’s Bay Herald Tribune)

James Morgan well versed in community service. Retired newspaper editor, farmer, forester and administrator. Life member Hastings Group Theatre; producer Napier Operatic Society; director Hastings-Guilin Sister City Board; founder-chairman Flaxmere Licensing Trust 1975-90; foundation director Trust House Ltd; national administrator NZ Sister City Board 2000-2002.
A Brief History of Newspapers in Hawke’s Bay
James Wood was the beginning of the Newspaper era in Hawke’s Bay New Zealand. His imprint is still with us today. James wood was instrumental in the formation of Hawke’s Bay and the establishment of Hawke’s as a Province. James Wood arrived in Hawke’s Bay in 1856 armed with a case of printers type and an Albion Press. He was warned to keep it under lock and key as the Maoris would love the lead in the letter types to make musket balls.
The Albion Press was a slow laborious procedure involving the grouping of letters together to form words.but the words were made and stacked in reverse and upside down. A good type linker would managed 150 words per hour. It was a slow process publishing the written word.
Mr. James Wood, an Auckland journalist, was induced to start' the “HB Herald and Ahuriri Advocate,” in Ahuriri the first number of which appeared on the 24th of September, 1857. It was a very small sheet, issued weekly at first, but soon afterwards was published twice a week.
In Auckland Willis met James Wood, sub-editor of the Southern Cross newspaper. Having tested his capabilities, Wood persuaded the young printer to accompany him to Napier, where they started the Hawke's Bay Herald. The little paper made good progress. About two years later, much to Wood's regret, Willis returned to Auckland and from there travelled to Wellington, taking a post as compositor to the New Zealand Advertiser
The standard of publishing was not very good and after a few weeks the type face was getting blurred. William Colenso was the only other person in the district with an Albion Press and who new how to use it. Wood invited William Colenso over to his workshop.He removed his jacket on arrival and promptly started to show James how to wash the rollers and type heads.
Within a year of Mr Wood campaigning for Hawke’s Bay to become a separate Province from Wellington, he succeeded. Published in the paper on Saturday 13 November 1858 Hawke’s Bay Had been officially proclaimed a Province of New Zealand.It was a very small sheet, issued weekly at first, but soon afterwards was published twice a week. Early in the year 1871, Mr. Wood ventured to issue a daily half-sheet, Mr. W. W. Carlile being appointed editor.
Willis moved on to Wellington to go Printing, he was printing Government Publications.
Willis went onto publish several books including the “Williams & kettle “ book,
Soon after the Herald Office was moved to Tennyson Street in Napier what is now the corner of Tennyson Street and Cathedral Lane. The business prospered and the building expanded and grew until 1886 when the wooden building was burnt to the ground by fire.
This was replaced by a stronger red brick building but this was only going to last until the 1931 Earthquake, when it was severely damaged. The old Albion was replaced by a Rotary Flatbed Motorised Albion which was considerable faster and type setter had improved.
The HB Tribune was severely damaged in the 1931 earthquake, however Mr Whitlock had builders on the case and within hours the building was restored sufficiently and the printing press up and running that they could print the news, and earthquake bulletin was printed on the same day as the earthquake.
A new Brick and stone premises replaced the old building at a cost of £5000. This was now the tallest structure in Hastings at the time.
In 1937 WA Whitlock was made editor replacing his father WC Whitlock and soon after the rotary flatbed Albion was replaced with a lithographic press with curved plates on a rotating press. A vast improved, utilising engrave plates to print from, faster clear and much quicker.
The present handsome brick and stone premises were suitable to all the requirements of the town and district. The quality of lithographic, job-printing, and book-binding work issued from the “Herald” office will compared favourably with that executed in much larger towns.
WA Whitlock was using teleprinters to get up to the minutes news and photos from around the country and few months later from all around the world. WA would then on sell this news to other major newspapers. The HB Herald Tribune was now an international newspaper.
As far as international news went there was a lot of English news and royalty. WA Whitlock as loyal to his homeland. England was New Zealand’s “Mother country.”,
As picture engraving was expensive WA tried engrave those pictures that he could re use, e.g. famous people, royalty, Buildings, etc they he could get repeated use from. Other would have to be important to the news e.g. floods earthquakes etc.
The Whitlock’s profound motto was “We provide depth and quality printing, we are here for the truth, not self interest” The strong maxims of the Whitlock’s was to provide an emphasis on “Local news, immediacy, and the now as it happens and unfolds as well has History and the community”
On local race day a full page on stories on the days racing was provide with pictures. A flood and they were there in hours reporting it up to the minute. An earthquake in and they travelled the miles through rubble police barricades to get it to you the same day it happened.
WA Whitlock was fantabulous with words and would wander round the building checking stories and articles looking for grammatical, punctual or factual errors. He would change articles or stories if the were not to his liking or standard.
He took history seriously, when HB Province was celebrating 100 years as a province, WA asked Lewis Knowles to write a 100 page history of Hawke’s Bay celebrating 100 years of HB as a Province. James Morgan himself compiled it, checked it and rewrote it if not completely satisfied. He had a great knowledge of the district history.
Tony Whitlock introduce the breaking news box creating the excitement of immediacy with his “fudge box” printing creating a box of space for late breaking news. Or “Stop Press”